The natural aging process, genetics and lifestyle habits can make you look older than your true age. In turn, this can negatively impact how you feel about yourself.
Having a facelift in Phoenix Arizona can dramatically boost your self-esteem and rejuvenate our appearance. A facelift can improve the signs of aging by addressing mid-face volume loss, sagging jowls and the dreaded turkey neck.
Facelifts can be performed using both surgical and minimally-invasive techniques. Conventional facelift procedures are still performed, but thanks revolutionary technology, many concerns can now be addressed with minimally invasive procedures. Most patients considering a facelift are over 40 years old, although facelifts can be performed on younger people if they are deemed to be suitable candidates.
The facelift procedure, whether it’s full-face, lower face or mid-face, is a relatively straightforward procedure. However, not everyone is a suitable candidate. Many factors determine where someone deemed suitable to undergo a facelift. As such, it’s important to understand the risks, benefits and alternatives before making a final decision. Since having a facelift is a personalized procedure, in addition to being in overall good health, you need to have realistic expectations of what a facelift can and cannot do.
In general, suitable candidates for a facelift include:
- Otherwise healthy individuals without chronic medical conditions
- Individuals with good skin elasticity and bone structure
- Nonsmokers and social drinkers
- Individuals who have realistic expectations
You are not an ideal candidate if:
- You are on blood-thinners. Medications that thin the blood can increase the risk of hematomas following a facelift. These medications include blood thinners (Plavix and Coumadin), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, fish oil, aspirin, Ginkgo biloba and ginseng.
- If you have a history of weight gain, which can affect the shape of your face and affect the longevity of result.
Aftercare is equally important. It’s essential that you understand the need to take care of your skin to expedite recovery. Finally, the surgical technique will depend on both the skills and experience of the surgeon who performs your facelift. It’s important to ask questions and request to see before and after imagery of previous patients. Also, ensure that the surgeon you are considering is accredited through the appropriate certifying bodies.
If you’re considering a facelift and live in Phoenix or Scottsdale Arizona, consult Dr. Meger for a private consultation. Together, you can decide which procedure is best to help you reach your aesthetic goals.